Monday

Review - Some stuff I saw on the Internet today

As of today, or quite a few months ago, or whatever, Rupert Murdoch officially owns all the 'intelligent' music sites in the world. Ever. All the forums and all the blogs and all the nice 'alternative' sites with an 'opinion'. www.quietusgroup.com, check it out. I don't know why this upsets me, maybe it's just because I don't like, or don't get, the tone of TheQuietus.com, or maybe because I'm not the target demographic of their site, or that of The Lipster. I'm, like, the target audience of DiS. Drowned in Sound may have nice mods and, um, the odd lively debate about Liars, but seriously - I don't get this supposed coalition of the 'definitive' independent sites involved, it's as if they want to take the outer limits of those websites and make them all conform to a set scene ideology, or something. Not that DiS is anything anymore. The Quietus is currently just a list of names. Really, it is, check out the Steven Wells vs. Dom Passantino (of DiS and ILX fame, ahem) thread. Thread? I mean, um, article. The Lipster's Bjork-with-an-umlaut interview is probably the most readable thing around - and I'd wager that may be because of her personality rather than anything, although granted I haven't checked out the site too much - unless you want to see DiS talk to Razorlight's drummer about NOTHING before they decide, eh, he sounds boring but is kinda nice. Wicked. 7.2, right? It's like Pitchfork, but diluted, really, except it's got forums and is smaller, which is nice because then the Chinchilla gang or Team Brick or whoever get a look-in occasionally.

23500 / 20000

And seeing as that's the Internet broken, then, I'm off to download some mp3s from Pitchfork's Forkcast. Or, maybe, I'm off to do something worthwhile. Such as take the other writer of this blog by her hand, kick a photocopier into gear, and write, like, this totally awesome 'zine I've always wanted to do. About music, and stuff. It'll kick ass. Thanks, Abby!

No comments: