Wednesday

an incomplete history of sleater-kinney


let's find out about sleater-kinney who have unfortunately been over since 2006!!!

on sleater-kinney's website you can find this quiz. I don't know much about them so I am going to learn too.


1. Which of these bands/singers has NOT opened for Sleater-Kinney?
The White StripesRobyn HitchcockThe DecemberistsYeah Yeah Yeahs

I don't know who Robyn Hitchcock is, so Robyn Hitchcock probably did. The YYYs are too big and great to not have supported them according to this list, and The White Stripes would've been a huge clunking elephant. The Decemberists are crap, though, right? I chose 'em.

2: What festival did Sleater-Kinney play soon after Janet joined the band in 1996?
SXSWReading FestivalEndfestCMJ
I chose Reading.

3: How many drummers have Sleater-Kinney had?
TwoThreeFourFive
Three?

4: In early 1996, Carrie didn’t make it to a gig in Portland and Sleater-Kinney were forced to perform as a two piece. She didn’t play on account of
Throwing out her backCar troubleFloodsNothing good to wear
Nothing good to wear would be the right answer but it's all about the tonality of the question. I think floods. Or throwing out her back. Floods.

5: Who directed Sleater-Kinney’s first video for the song 'Get up'
Miranda JulyBrett VapnekSpike JonzeLance Bangs
I doubt it was the last two; Mirana July is female too. I voted for No Name #2.

6: In what city did Sleater-Kinney play their first ever show?
Olympia,WABrighton, EnglandArcata, CASydney, Australia
Brighton is closest.

7: How did Corin and Carrie meet Janet?
At a Portland Blazers gameAt an auto showThrough a mutual friendThrough an "I Saw You" ad in the Portland Mercury
The last one... although... now I might just highlight the answers I went for.

8: Sleater-Kinney often don’t name their songs until they are recorded. What group of titles represents actual ‘working titles’ used by the band?
Out on the Tiles, Gallows Pole, That’s The WayPerky Pony, Crappy Kitty, BadgerLoose Stool, Loose Women, Tight PantsB-52's song, Words and Keyboards, Two Beats

9: What SK song was written in Calvin Johnson’s basement?
Get UpLittle BabiesIt’s EnoughEnd of You
10: At DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) Hall in Washington, DC, S-K’s set consisted solely of their then unreleased album, played in order from beginning to end. What album did they play?
The Hot RockAll Hands on the Bad OneOne BeatThe Woods

11: Carrie appeared in a television commercial with whom?
Ray RomanoWilliam ShatnerCarrot TopSpuds McKenzie

12: Janet began playing drums when she was:
16272212

Yes ALL OF THEM.
13: Corin’s middle-school band was called?
This, That and The OtherHeavens To BetsyStrawberry WhorecakeThe Ladybugs

14: Before Carrie moved to Olympia to attend college, she played in what band?
Christ on a CrutchExcuse 17Conspiracy A Go-GoPony Express
15: Janet’s first concert was:
Bruce SpringsteenYesJoan BaezDavid Bowie

16: Where does the name Sleater-Kinney come from?
The law office that helped Carrie through her 3rd divorceA road near Olympia, WAThey wanted something that sounded like Slutty-Kitty but cleanerIt is the maiden names of Corin and Carrie’s mothers

17: What MC5 song did Sleater-Kinney cover on one of their tours
American RuseKick Out The JamsHigh SchoolTommy Gun

18: In the beginning of the song “Heart Factory”, what is Janet hitting her drum sticks against to create the “industrial” sound?
An army helmetA space heaterPots and pansA 1/2 empty bottle of Makers Mark

19: What song, usually sung by Corin, did Janet sing almost in its entirety during a particularly grueling show?
SympathyYouth DecayTurn It OnStart Together

20: What song did Sleater-Kinney play when they appeared on The Conan O’Brien show?
Words and GuitarStep AsideGet UpYou're No Rock n' Roll Fun

No comments: