Luckily this summer so far has been a little bit full-on boring, etc., so in between doing things like 'not having a job' and 'going to the Tate' and 'whatever' and 'cycling' and 'parties' here are some things that I have read.
Albert Camus - Exile and the Kingdom (Stories)
Boring. Ha.
Richard Brautigan - In Watermelon Sugar
It gets better after a spell when you think 'this is weird'. Although Brautigan's character is a total circle jerk.
Graham Swift - Waterland
Riveting.
David Foster Wallace - Consider the Lobster and Other Essays
Sterling.
Ali Smith - The Accidental
I just about finished this. It's quite good. The 'Alhambra' chapters (the last one in each section) are a bit hard work, wait, maybe meaningless, possibly. Probably not though. Michael is a bit of a twat, although you are probably meant to think that. Eve isn't that great either. I'm not sure it actually ends.
Ted Hughes - Birthday Letters
There is a really good poem called 'Fate Playing' in it. One time I was on the fast train, but only by accident, and I tried to copy it out onto paper to give to someone, but I didn't finish it, so I still have half of it in my notepad.
Okay, I think that constitutes 'a canon'. I think I got sunburnt. I nearly hit a van.
No comments:
Post a Comment